D&M General Store Antiques
Between Milwaukee and Chicago
D & M General Store Antiques was built in 1889 as a Dairy Barn and in 1926 during the era of prohibition became Ehlieters Dance Hall. Every Sunday night people came from all different counties to watch local bands play at the "Barn Dance."
Brats and beer were sold in the basement. No men in coveralls or women in slacks were allowed in the dance hall. So many people would dance that the floor would shake and whitewash paint would fall into their beers. Many met their spouses right here in the barn.
In the 1950s, the dance hall was divided in half. One side became a grocery store, the other a hardware store. The small garage to the right operated as a repair shop for yard and garden equipment. The Ehlieters eventually closed the store in the 1970s and the store sat vacant for years.
In 1992, we began working on the building and the yard. On May 16, 1999 we opened as D & M General Store Antiques and quickly became a "must stop" for dealers, collectors and antique lovers of all ages.
There really is something for everyone and many of our customers return year after year to see what new treasures await them.